The evening started at B.B. Kings with a concert by one of my favorite groups from the 90s...En Vogue. Yes, EN VOGUE. All four of them performed...Dawn, Cindy, Terry and Maxine...Nicole helped me remember their names. Four of my friends came with me...Nic, Court, Marsha and James. Nic, Court and James and I stood semi-close to the stage on the main floor and we JAMMED! En Vogue still had that great sound. All four of the women can sing, or shall I say...sang. They did their hits, a medley of oldies and ended with some more of their hits.
I loved how well En Vogue performed, but what I loved most was being around my friends as we collectively rocked and sang along to the music. Courtney got down to "Don't Let Go", Nicole and I relived our college days through "Giving Him Something He Can Feel" and I even heard James singing along throughout the night. He has made it very clear that he won't sing when we do karaoke and even though he sings in his church choir, he claims he isn't good. So it was a shock to actually HEAR him.
After the concert we went to Katwalk Bar & Lounge where we were later joined by Mia, Maya, Danielle, Jinyoung and Jeanette. It was free to get in, the music was pretty good and best of all, I had my friends with me. One of the things I love about my friends is that, for the most part, they don't have difficulty getting along with each other. I don't have to spend time making the rounds to drum up conversation between everyone...it just happens organically.
So we talked, didn't get food because the kitchen was closed (grrrrr), danced, complained about a throw up smell that was emanating from a certain section, purchased and got drinks for others using power hour (all the well drinks you can get from 10 - 11pm) bracelets and of course, we took pictures. I was already having a fantastic time, but then James surprised me with a bottle of champagne for a Ladies Night, which sadly meant that he was leaving, but the gesture was really sweet and hanging with my girls was nice. The drinks continued and we danced the rest of the night away. I stayed out until 1, which is a big deal for me. I usually put myself on a train and go home, but this time I took the last train out of NYC back to Mt. V and was happy I made that decision.
Nicole said that there is something about the 31st birthday that leads to a good time. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 30th birthday because it was my chance to celebrate with so many friends from all stages of my life and to treat them to good food and dessert. But for my 31st, all "pressure" was gone. I kept it small, didn't worry about having the perfect outfit and partied the Shay Shay way. Much love to everyone who celebrated with me and wished me well. I'm looking forward to 32!
That was a good party. Sometimes they just happen, and it's hard to say why.
ReplyDeletethose pictures came out well
ReplyDelete