Saturday, December 3, 2011

Balance

It's Saturday night, I'm at home and I'm thinking about playing the Wii. The last time I played I seriously spent over 35 minutes playing a Wii Fit balance game called Balance Bubble Plus.  Unless you've played one of these games, you have no idea what it's like to see yourself as a Mii, a digital avatar, hang your head in shame after you lose. Even though my astrological sign is Libra, representing scales and balance, each time I play a balance game, I realize that this sign apparently means NOTHING for my physical capabilities. 

In Bubble Plus, my Mii is in a Bubble going down a waterway and there are crags to avoid and bees that could come down and pop my bubble. I can't even count the number of times I had to start, lose and restart the game.  I would go few yards, hit an edge of a rock and pop my bubble.  Then the sad music would play, I would see my rank, and yardage. Often my results would be so poor that I would be un-ranked, then I'm called "Unbalanced" and get one star.  And what did I do then? Play again and again and again...because I was determined to get to the end without popping the bubble.  So 35 minutes later...I finally made it to the end.  I believe I got two stars and was called an "Amateur." YES! No longer unbalanced. 

If only I got rewarded for my other pursuits and was so easily excited by simple recognition.  I think the use of gold stars needs to be brought back as a merit system for adults.  Going on a second date...three gold stars - professional. Remembered your boss's birthday...two gold stars - amateur. Bought a card for the boss...three gold stars - professional. Made Dinner...four stars - ?? I've never gotten four stars on Wii...I don't know what you're called then. Ahahaha anyway, I might just start giving myself gold stars. It's clearly a motivator for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment