As I mentioned a few months ago, I bought a place for myself and I'm living on my own. This is the first time in six years that I've been by myself. Being by myself isn't a problem. I'm an only child...I know how to amuse myself and not feel lonely. But for six years I didn't have to cook! My mom made dinner most of the time. The only thing I handled was my lunch and meager breakfast. If I wanted to cook I could, but honestly the motivation wasn't there. Occasionally I would put together a meal and I had no problem baking, but when I came home from work, there usually was something in the house for me to eat and the most I had to do was warm it up.
So I find myself in my new place and I have to cook. I'll be honest, the first few weeks I started staying here, I ate my meals at my parents' place. I didn't even want to plug in the refrigerator or stove because if I wasn't planning to cook, then those appliances didn't need to be sucking up electricity. Eventually, the time did come for me to make a meal and I made quesadillas and guacamole. GUACAMOLE!! Yes, I made an item on my Resolution list. Admittedly, it wasn't the best. I didn't have anything to properly mash up the avocados, but the flavor was there and I ate it. ha!
Since then I've really been impressing myself. I made coconut curried chicken with pineapple served over rice that was DA BOMB! I tasted it and was shocked by how good it was...it was restaurant quality y'all! And again, this was an item on my Resolution list.
But I've noticed that even the scraps that I've been throwing together taste pretty good. Just today I had a very simple meal that consisted of a salad, a piece of Texas toast and something that I'll just call turkey stuff. LOL It was crumbled ground turkey breast with onions, garlic and red peppers, then I added some tomato sauce. The meal was simple and yet so flavorful and satisfying!
I'm no one's Top Chef, but I can hold my own in the kitchen and the more I do cook, the better I get. Soon I'll invite y'all over for dinner. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment