Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reasons Why I Go to the Gym...***

As many of you know, I'm a gym-goer.  Sure I workout a bit in my house because I got a Wii fit, but typically five days of the week before work I hit the treadmills and pump iron at New York Sports Club.  Going to the gym is part of my routine and for the most part I go to stay fit and for general well-being. 

But I'll admit, at times my motivation for staying fit has shifted. I saw one of the Bourne movies and Matt Damon was running.  I think he was running across the beach and I thought, "Yeah, I should be able to run like that in case someone was after me."  Why I would think someone would be after me or that I should have the physical capabilities of trained assassin didn't factor in to my reasoning, I just thought I should be able to run.  Well, even though I have been working out consistently, I still can't run for too long and kind of hate jogging.  But when I'm short on time and need to dash through Grand Central or across 125th in order to catch my train...I can do it!

But I've learned that my going to the gym is all about being strong enough and having enough endurance to do random stuff...like walk from Pier 1 Store to Union Square subway station through the station and down the stairs to the 6 train to up the stairs through Grand Central to get on the New Haven Line train to Mount Vernon with a heavy mirrored dining room table base.  Or to walk across 125th in the rain with a 5x7 wool rug. As you can tell, in both instances I was carrying two items that are needed for my (still primarily empty) home.

So being able to do a 5K, a pull up, push ups and all that stuff is great, but being about to save some dough on cabs and movers because I'm fit (and frugal) enough is even better.

***I started this post in May and am just finishing in August. ahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment