So it's Sunday and I have just survived Hurricane Irene. I decided to go over to my parents' place, rather than be along in mine should the worst happen, but honestly, with the exception of the constant TV news footage blaring in the background and infiltrating my dreams, this just felt like a normal storm. Anyway, it was before and during this storm that I had a bunch of realizations.
It's almost September.
I got my train pass in the mail and couldn't believe that September is a few days away. I'm no longer in school, but September always feels like the "start." It also means that I need to get my fall vacation plans in the works.
Cooking is not so bad.
I do like trying recipes...shocking. Forcing myself to cook every week made cooking easier. I'm experimenting and cooking (not just baking) for others. I've made dinner for daddy a few times and earlier this month I made a balsamic marinade, which I used on chicken breast that I then grilled and prepared a BLT pasta salad for a picnic date...yes, a date DATE.
I like watching food shows, but I think I'm tired of celebrity chefs.
The way that people talk about celebrity chefs is really too much. I watch shows on Fox, Food Network, Bravo and I think the amateur/not known chefs and contestants are talking about how great these celebrity chefs are and know they haven't tasted their food. And let me say, I've been to a few restaurants owned by celebrity chefs and rarely have been WOWed.
I think wearing thongs/g-strings with jeans is ridiculous.
I saw a woman at the gym and she was slipping on her jeans over a thong. Why do women do that? Denim is the one fabric that is so tough that you don't even really need to worry about panty lines. Denim is so tough that if you have a wedgie it's hard to pull out. BTW, I think g-strings and thongs basically should be called wedgies because that's how they feel. And denim is so tough, that stitchings create bumps that could cause friction. Friction is not good and a little ol' thong provides no barrier, and may cause some other issues...ladies, I think you get my drift.
I feel embarrassed for the people who have to stand behind public officials during press conferences and briefings.
With the additional conferences from mayors, governors and other elected officials about the Hurricane, I've been noticing the people who stand behind them. For some reason, I just feel embarrassed for them. I don't know why I feel embarrassed, but I do. I just imagine myself having to stand there and look interested and not scratch an itch or cough, knowing that I'm not going to say anything. I also imagine that they feel excited to be on TV and then I feel bad that they are excited by that. Sometimes it's clear who they are, for example the fire commissioner and the police commissioner. But who are are the other people? Why are they there? Who tells them where to stand? And if there are more than two or three standing back there, why? Do ten people need to stand huddled close together behind the public official? The official needs that much back up? Embarrassing.
So there you have it...five realizations courtesy of Hurricane Irene and only one semi-related to the great Hurricane.
No comments:
Post a Comment