I was walking around work today in shoes and thought, I'm going to blog about shoes. Lately I've gotten into a very bad habit of wearing my sneakers all day. The attire at my job is business casual, so sneakers shouldn't be apart of my wardrobe equation. But I workout right before work, and then have a bit of a walk/train/bus ride, so wearing shoes doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I'm still commuting and in my mind, commuting means sneakers. Yet, when I get to work, I just haven't felt motivated to change my shoes. So I could have on a lovely dress and when you look at my feet...sneakers!
It was today that I decided to wear with my outfit one of the three pairs of shoes that I keep at my desk. I had on a black button-down shirt with ruffles, dark denim-like pants and for my shoes I chose my red and black flats with black piping. My outfit was rather smart, if I do say so myself..simple and classic with, as everyone seems to say these days, "a pop of color." My hair was freshly done and flowing and I really felt I looked nice. I began to think, how could I not wear shoes every day? I will wear shoes and not sneakers from now on at work!
Anyway, I was feeling good and I decided to do another thing that I rarely do...leave my desk for lunch. I grabbed my bag, brought my book and took a quick ride down to 96th to browse Home Goods and Modell's. Strolling outside, the glow of the sun made my outfit even better. Really...it did. I caught my reflection in the window and thought, "Nice...very nice." Then, confirmation. This man in Home Goods said shook my had and said, "You look very nice Miss." I thanked him and thought, "I knew it!"
On my way home, I changed back into my sneakers and left the shoes under my desk because I was in commuter mode once again. I stood on the platform and noticed this man looking at me, so I immediately diverted my attention because I didn't want to talk. But I turned in his direction to see if the train was coming and he took his opportunity to say hello, asked my about the book I'm reading, (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks btw) and then he did what I call "The Run Down." "What do you do?" "Do you have a husband?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" My answers... "Fundraising." "No" "Yes." He followed up and said, that I was a nice-looking lady and that if my BF isn't acting right, that I should call him. I did my obligatory chuckle and made sure we didn't get in the same car when the subway came.
As I rode my one stop, I thought about all the times when I've said I had a boyfriend and didn't. And I know all women have made one up, but just when is this boyfriend that I'm pretending to have going to materialize? And the other thing I thought was, sneakers or shoes, I looked really nice today. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment